Endowed Chair in Leadership
201 Graduate Education Building
College of Education and Health Professions
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Phone: (479) 575-3225
Robert Maranto (B.S. Maryland, 1980; Ph.D. Minnesota, 1989) is the 21st Century Chair in Leadership at the Department of Education Reform at the University of Arkansas, and previously served as associate professor of political science and public administration at Villanova University. He has taught at Lafayette College, James Madison, and Southern Mississippi, and served in President Clinton’s administration. Bob has done extensive research on education reform (particularly charter schools), political leadership, and civil service reform.
In concert with others he has written or edited scholarly books which have sold dozens of copies and are so boring that his own mother refused to read them. These include A Guide to Charter Schools (Rowman and Littlefield Education, 2006), The Second Term of George W. Bush: Prospects and Perils (Palgrave, 2006), Beyond a Government of Strangers: How Career Executives and Political Appointees Can Turn Conflict to Cooperation (Lexington, 2005), School Choice in the Real World: Lessons from Arizona Charter Schools (Westview 2001), and Radical Reform of the Civil Service (Lexington 2001). He is now co-editing two books likely to appeal to very different scholarly audiences, The Politically Correct University (AEI, forthcoming 2008), and Judging Bush (Stanford University Press, forthcoming 2009). He is also starting fieldwork on a book about reforming urban schools.
His several dozen refereed articles have appeared in journals including Teachers College Record, the American Review of Public Administration, the American Journal of Education, and Policy Studies Journal. His op-eds have appeared in newspapers including the Washington Post, Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia Daily News, Baltimore Sun, and WallStreetJournal.com, and in magazines including the Washington Monthly, Education Next, and Charter School Monthly. In 1987 Bob played for the University of Minnesota’s National Champion College Bowl team. In his non-existent free time Bob likes hiking in the mountains. Bob is married to April Gresham Maranto. Their bosses, Tony and Maya, were born in 1999 and 2004 respectively. Bob can be reached at 479-575-3225, or at email@example.com.
- Maranto, R., R. Redding, and F. Hess eds. “The Politically Correct University,” Washington: AEI Press (September 2009).
- Lecture and book signing on May 3, 2010 for the “Liberty on the Rocks” group, Lakeview, CO.
- Maranto, R., T. Lansford, and J. Johnson eds. “Judging Bush,” Stanford: Stanford University Press (forthcoming fall 2009).
- Kayes, Myron and Robert Maranto eds. (2006) “A Guide to Charter Schools: Research and Practical Advice for Educators,” Littlefield Education.
- Maranto, Robert, Douglas M. Brattebo, and Tom Lansford, eds. (2006) “The Second Term of George W. Bush: Prospects and Perils,” New York: Macmillan/Palgrave.
- Maranto, R. (2005) “Beyond a Government of Strangers: How Career Executives and Political Appointees Can Turn Conflict to Cooperation,” Lanham: Lexington.
- Condrey, S. and R. Maranto, eds. (2001) “Radical Reform of the Civil Service,” Lanham: Lexington.
- Maranto, R., S. R. Milliman, F. Hess, and A.W. Gresham, eds. (1999,2001) “School Choice in the Real World: Lessons from Arizona Charter Schools,” Boulder: Westview.
- Maranto, R., Gary Ritter, and Sandra Stotsky (2008) “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Will President Obama’s School Reform Bring the Change Kids Need?” Golden, CO: Independence Institute (IP-10-2008).
- Maranto, R., Nathan A. Benefield, and Jason O’Brien (2007) “Edifice Complex: Where has all the Money Gone?,” The Commonwealth Foundation for Public Policy Alternatives.
- Maranto, R. and McShane, M. (2011) “What Michelle Rhee got right,” The Baltimore Sun, April 11.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “Only two cheers for standardized testing,” The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 10.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “Six things we nkow about charter schools,” Portland Press Herald, March 16.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “On teachers unions, the devil is in the details,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, February 24.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “An entrepreneurial model of education,” Houston Chronicle, February 20, B10.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “The Future of Education: President Obama should keep President Ike Eisenhower in mind,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 9.
- Maranto, R. and Wolf, P. J. (2010) “Good government is risky business,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 1.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “A way out for troubled children,” Atlanta Journal Constitution, December 1.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Putting learning first: Standards outdated,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, August 9.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Immigrants in a changed nation,” Baltimore Sun, August 2.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Public Schools Doing Their Jobs,” Northwest Arkansas Times, June 14.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Priests, teachers, and culture warriors,” Philadelphia Daily News, May 10.
- Maranto, R. and Gary Compton (2009) “Three ideas to make Arkansas public schools the best,” Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, December 27.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Power to the principals,” The Baltimore Sun, October 28.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Censoring Horowitz shows SLU needs diversity of thought,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, October 6.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Reactions to Obama: It’s us, not him,” Philadelphia Daily News, September 23.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “What to do without the millage?” Northwest Arkansas Times, September 17, A4.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Do gay rights trump religion?” Hartford Courant, July 26, C1.
- Maranto, R. and April Gresham Maranto(2009) “Lots of devils in this contract’s details,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, June 21, p. 80.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “A tale of two state school systems,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, April 19.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Barack Hussein Reagan?” Philadelphia Daily News, March 2, p. 21.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “History shows no one best way: ‘Global Achievement Gap’ would leave poor children behind,” Northwest Arkansas Times, February 16, A4.
- S. Buck and R. Maranto (2008) “Obama gets an A,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, December 22, 5B.
- Maranto, R. (2008) “Cities Need Charter Schools,” Philadelphia Inquirer, December 17.