Endowed Chair in Leadership
201 Graduate Education Building
College of Education and Health Professions
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Phone: (479) 575-3225
Robert Maranto (B.S. Maryland, 1980; Ph.D. Minnesota, 1989) is the 21st Century Chair in Leadership at the Department of Education Reform at the University of Arkansas, and previously taught political science at Villanova University and worked at the Brookings Institution and for the Clinton administration in the 1990s. He is interested in civil service reform generally and school reform in particular. Since December 2015 he has edited theJournal of School Choice (http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/wjsc20/current), having prior served as book review editor. In concert with others Bob has written or edited 11 scholarly books which have sold dozens of copies and are so boring that his own mother refused to read them. These include President Obama and Education Reform: The personal and the political(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2012), The Obama Presidency: Change and Continuity (Routledge, 2011),A Guide to Charter Schools (Rowman & Littlefield Education, 2006), Beyond a Government of Strangers (Lexington, 2005),and School Choice in the Real World: Lessons from Arizona Charter Schools (Westview 2001). He recently co-edited two books appealing to very different audiences:The Politically Correct University (published by conservative AEI), and Judging Bush (published by liberal Stanford University Press). He is now working on a book on education policy in the Obama years and beyond, and another on Arizona charter schools. His more than 70 scholarly publications have appeared in journals includingPublic Administration Review, Computers and Education, the Journal of School Leadership,Social Science Quarterly, the Journal of Educational Research, and Education Next.
His more than 100 op-eds have appeared in venues including theWall Street Journal, Huffington Post, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal Constitution, Philadelphia Inquirer, andBaltimore Sun. In 1987 Bob played for the University of Minnesota’s National Champion College Bowl team. In his non-existent free time Bob hikes in the mountains. He is married to April Gresham Maranto. Their bosses, Tony and Maya, were born in 1999 and 2004 respectively, and attend Root Elementary and Woodland Junior High in Fayetteville. Bob can be reached at 479-575-3225, 610-299-3683 (cell), email@example.com.
- Maranto, R., R. Redding, and F. Hess eds. “The Politically Correct University,” Washington: AEI Press (September 2009).
- Lecture and book signing on May 3, 2010 for the “Liberty on the Rocks” group, Lakeview, CO.
- Maranto, R., T. Lansford, and J. Johnson eds. “Judging Bush,” Stanford: Stanford University Press (forthcoming fall 2009).
- Kayes, Myron and Robert Maranto eds. (2006) “A Guide to Charter Schools: Research and Practical Advice for Educators,” Littlefield Education.
- Maranto, Robert, Douglas M. Brattebo, and Tom Lansford, eds. (2006) “The Second Term of George W. Bush: Prospects and Perils,” New York: Macmillan/Palgrave.
- Maranto, R. (2005) “Beyond a Government of Strangers: How Career Executives and Political Appointees Can Turn Conflict to Cooperation,” Lanham: Lexington.
- Condrey, S. and R. Maranto, eds. (2001) “Radical Reform of the Civil Service,” Lanham: Lexington.
- Maranto, R., S. R. Milliman, F. Hess, and A.W. Gresham, eds. (1999,2001) “School Choice in the Real World: Lessons from Arizona Charter Schools,” Boulder: Westview.
- Maranto, R., Gary Ritter, and Sandra Stotsky (2008) “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Will President Obama’s School Reform Bring the Change Kids Need?” Golden, CO: Independence Institute (IP-10-2008).
- Maranto, R., Nathan A. Benefield, and Jason O’Brien (2007) “Edifice Complex: Where has all the Money Gone?,” The Commonwealth Foundation for Public Policy Alternatives.
- Maranto, R. and McShane, M. (2011) “What Michelle Rhee got right,” The Baltimore Sun, April 11.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “Only two cheers for standardized testing,” The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, April 10.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “Six things we nkow about charter schools,” Portland Press Herald, March 16.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “On teachers unions, the devil is in the details,” Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, February 24.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “An entrepreneurial model of education,” Houston Chronicle, February 20, B10.
- Maranto, R. (2011) “The Future of Education: President Obama should keep President Ike Eisenhower in mind,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, February 9.
- Maranto, R. and Wolf, P. J. (2010) “Good government is risky business,” The Philadelphia Inquirer, December 1.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “A way out for troubled children,” Atlanta Journal Constitution, December 1.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Putting learning first: Standards outdated,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, August 9.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Immigrants in a changed nation,” Baltimore Sun, August 2.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Public Schools Doing Their Jobs,” Northwest Arkansas Times, June 14.
- Maranto, R. (2010) “Priests, teachers, and culture warriors,” Philadelphia Daily News, May 10.
- Maranto, R. and Gary Compton (2009) “Three ideas to make Arkansas public schools the best,” Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, December 27.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Power to the principals,” The Baltimore Sun, October 28.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Censoring Horowitz shows SLU needs diversity of thought,” St. Louis Post-Dispatch, October 6.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Reactions to Obama: It’s us, not him,” Philadelphia Daily News, September 23.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “What to do without the millage?” Northwest Arkansas Times, September 17, A4.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Do gay rights trump religion?” Hartford Courant, July 26, C1.
- Maranto, R. and April Gresham Maranto(2009) “Lots of devils in this contract’s details,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, June 21, p. 80.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “A tale of two state school systems,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, April 19.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “Barack Hussein Reagan?” Philadelphia Daily News, March 2, p. 21.
- Maranto, R. (2009) “History shows no one best way: ‘Global Achievement Gap’ would leave poor children behind,” Northwest Arkansas Times, February 16, A4.
- S. Buck and R. Maranto (2008) “Obama gets an A,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, December 22, 5B.
- Maranto, R. (2008) “Cities Need Charter Schools,” Philadelphia Inquirer, December 17.