Sandra Stotsky is credited with developing one of the country’s strongest sets of academic standards for K-12 students as well as the strongest academic standards and licensure tests for prospective teachers while serving as Senior Associate Commissioner in the Massachusetts Department of Education from 1999-2003. She is also known nation-wide for her in-depth analyses of the problems in Common Core’s English language arts standards. Her current research ranges from the deficiencies in teacher preparation programs and teacher licensure tests to the deficiencies in the K-12 reading curriculum and the question of gender bias in the curriculum. She is regularly invited to testify or submit testimony to state boards of education and state legislators on bills addressing licensure tests, licensure standards, and Common Core’s standards (e.g., Utah, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, South Carolina, and Texas). She currently serves on several committees for the International Dyslexia Association and on the advisory board for Pioneer Institute’s Center for School Reform. She served on the National Validation Committee for the Common Core State Systemic Initiative (2009-2010), on the National Mathematics Advisory Panel (2006-2008), co-authoring its final report as well as two of its task group reports, on the Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education (2006-2010), and on the Steering Committee in 2003-2004 for the framework for the National Assessment of Educational Progress reading assessments for 2009 onward. Her major publications include The Death and Resurrection of a Coherent Literature Curriculum (Rowman & Littlefield, 2012); Literary Study in Grades 9, 10, and 11: A National Survey (Association of Literary Scholars, Critics, and Writers, 2010); What’s at Stake in the K-12 Standards Wars: A Primer for Educational Policy Makers (Peter Lang, 2000); and Losing Our Language (Free Press, 1999, reprinted by Encounter Books, 2002).
Recent Professional Activities
- Sandra Stotsky. “Sandra Responds to AEI’s Rick Hess’ and Michael McShane’s criticism of Common Core opponents.”
- Sandra Stotsky. Interview on Fox News. Tuesday, April 15, 2014. Catholic Classrooms Face Common Core Overhaul.
- Sandra Stotsky. On Armstrong and Getty radio talk show, San Francisco, Tuesday, April 15, 2014, KSTE AM 650
- Sandra Stotsky. Comments on Draft #2 of Indiana’s Future English Language Arts Standards: A Report to Governor Michael Pence, April 8, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. “The Fate of Poetry in a Common Core-Based Curriculum.” Paper presented at the ALSCW Conference, Bloomington, Indiana, April 5, 2014.
- Professor William McCallum’s Remarks on Common Core’s Mathematics Standards in January 2010.
- Sandra Stotsky. In “Building the Machine.” March 31, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. New items on Pioneer Institute’s website, March 28, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. March 27, 2014 blog on Pioneer Institute website. Debunking myths and claims about Common Core.
- Susan Berry. Common Core Sandra Stotsky: Indiana Should Return to 2006 English Language Arts Standards. March 26, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Interview on the Pat Miller show in Indiana. March 25, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Podcast of my comments on the development of non-Common Core standards in Indiana. On Greg Garrison’s radio talk show in Indiana on March 20, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony to a Kentucky Legislative Committee on Common Core. March 13, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony in Connecticut on HB 5078 and HB 5331, March 12, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Video of evening talk in Peabody, Massachusetts, March 11, 2014.
- Article in Salem News on March 13, 2014 on Peabody School Committee vote to allow parents to opt out of Common Core pilot testing
- Letter from the Peabody Federation of Teachers endorsing the School Committee’s vote to allow parents to opt out of the PARCC test and indicating agreement that the school committee has the legal authority to do so
- Sandra Stotsky. Blog on how states and school districts can opt out of the Common Core standards. March 6, 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Fact Sheet on Common Core’s Developers, Writers, Validation Committee, and Standards. March 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core Forum presented by PTA Council of Howard County (PTACHC) and Howard County Education Association (HCEA), February 23, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. How to Address Common Core’s Reading Standards: Licensure Tests for K-6 Teachers. Pioneer Institute White Paper #111, February 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony on Common Core for Kansas Legislators, February 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core Nation (podcast by the Liberty Fund). February 17, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony in Wyoming on Common Core. February 12, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Comparison of the Common Core and 2008 South Caroline Academic Standards for English Language Arts. January 2014.
- Sandra Stotsky. Interview for Breitbart News. January 14, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony on Common Core’s English Language Arts Standards and Alaska’s Academic Standards. For the Alaska State Senate Education Committee. January 7, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. “Common Core Doesn’t Add Up to STEM Success.” Wall Street Journal. January 3, 2014
- Sandra Stotsky. Local Cable TV Interview, December 2013. Taunton, Massachusetts.
- Support: Research on how Gates’ money is used to undermine school choice:
- The Fordham Strong Arm of Letter Grades for State Standards
- The American Enterprise Institute, Common Core, and “Good Cop”
- Sandra Stotsky. Pioneer Blog, December 26, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Podcast of Denver talk show on AM560, December 19, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core fails to prepare students for STEM. The Denver Post. December 18, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Support for Common Core’s Fuzzy Math Doesn’t Add Up. December 6, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, Common Core Panel, Carroll County, Maryland, November 4, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Fatal Flaws in Common Core’s English Language Arts Standards: Testimony for the Ohio House Education Committee, Columbus, Ohio, November 20, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core’s English Language Arts Standards: Problems and Issues. Paper given at the Conference on Catholic Concerns about Common Core, Elberon, New Jersey, November 5, 2013.
- Stotsky scholarship cited in October 2013 letter to all Catholic bishops in USA.
- Sandra Stotsky. Interview #4 on the Kathy Benuck Show, NH TV, October 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. GUEST POST: Common Core Math Standards Do Not Prepare U.S. Students for STEM Careers. How Come? The Foundry. Oct 21, 2013
- Comments on the Florida Common Core English Language Arts Standards: Report prepared for a hearing in Tampa, Florida, October 15, 2013
- Common Core’s English Language Arts Standards: Testimony for a legislative hearing in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, October 16, 2013
- Video of testimony
- Sandra Stotksy on “Will Common Core Dumb Down Our Kids,” Tell It Like It Is with Kathy Benuck, October 3, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky on Common Core on Al Jazeera TV, Saturday night, September 28, 2013.
- R. James Milgram and Sandra Stotsky. Lowering the Bar: How Common Core Math Fails to Prepare High School Students for STEM, Pioneer Institute White Paper, #103, September 2013.
- Private reception for Sandra Stotsky in Columbia, South Carolina,September 20, 2013
- Sandra Stotsky on Drew Steele’s Talk Show, Fort Myers/Naples, Florida
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core’s Invalid Validation Committee. Paper presented for a conference at University of Notre Dame. September 9, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Invited Testimony for a Hearing in Michigan on Common Core.” August 14, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. “New York State Test Results: Uninterpretable But a Portent of the Future,” August 12, 2013. Pioneeer Institute Rock the Schoolhouse blog.
- Sandra Stotsky. Invited Testimony for a Hearing on Common Core in Indiana. August 5, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Comparison of the Common Core and 2008 Georgia English Language Arts Standards, July 2013
- Draft response by the Georgia Department of Education to the Stotsky July 2013 report
- Response by Sandra Stotsky to the Georgia Department of Education’s draft comments.
- Sandra Stotsky. My View: This is Why I Oppose Common Core. Desert News. July 24, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Kentucky Needs Higher Expectations for its Students: Testimony Submitted to the Kentucky Board of Education, July 2013
- Sandra Stotsky. Invited Testimony for a Hearing on the Implementation of Common Core’s Standards in Arkansas, July 22, 2013
- Sandra Stotsky. “4 Steps to Upgrade Teacher & Administrator Prep Programs.” Pioneer Institute. July 18, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. “How Long Before Duncan and the Media Speak Out Honestly?” Pioneer Institute. July, 10, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Revise or Reject: The Common Core’s Serious Flaws.” National Association of Scholars. July 3, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. ”Common Core’s Cloudy Vision of College Readiness in Math.” Pioneer Institute. July 1, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. “More Than One Fatal Flaw in Common Core’s ELA Standards.” Pioneer Institute. June 26, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky and Jane Robbins. Pulling Back the Curtain on Common Core. The Blaze. June 27, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. What To Do Once Common Core Is Halted. Pioneer Institute. June 20, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Why Do They Lie? And Why Do Others Believe Them? Pioneer Institute. June 18, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. Panel Discussion on Common Core, Thousand Oaks, California, June 10, 2013
- Sandra Stotsky. Forum on Common Core, Worcester, Massachusetts Public Library, June 5, 2013
- Sandra Stotksy. Wanted: Internationally Benchmarked Standards in Mathematics, Science, and English Language Arts. May 2013.
- Interview with Sandra Stotsky. Education Views. April 2013.
- Robert Pondiscio, Gilbert T. Sewall, and Sandra Stotsky. Foreward by Walter A. McDougall. Shortchanging the Future: The Crisis of History and Civics in American Schools. Pioneer Institute White Paper 100, April 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, “Sandra Stotsky Discusses the Common Core (Video).” The Pioneer Institute. April 9, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, Testimony for a Hearing in Arkansas for HB1590. March 28, 2013. (Appendix A and Appendix B)
- Sandra Stotsky, Invited Testimony for a Hearing in Michigan on House Bill 4276. March 20, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, Testimony for a Hearing on House Bill #616 and Senate Bill #210: Bills to prohibit the State Board of Education from adopting and implementing Common Core’s Standards and Tests. March 6, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, Invited Testimony for a Hearing on SB 167: A bill on Common Core’s Standards and Tests. February 28, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, Invited Testimony for Kansas on Common Core. February 14, 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky, An English Language Arts Curriculum Framework for American Public Schools: A Model, February 2013.
- Sandra Stotsky. 2013. Why Do Education Schools Have Such Low Standards? Essay written for Minding the Campus.
- Anders Lewis and Sandra Stotsky. 2013. The Rise and Fall of the Study of American History in Massachusetts. Pioneer Institute White Paper No. 97.
- Sandra Stotsky. 2013. Literature or Technical Manuals: Who Should Be Teaching What, Where, and Why?. Paper presented at The Constitutional Coalition’s Educational Policy Conference.
- Sandra Stotsky. 2013. Why We Must Raise the Bar for Admission to an Education School. Paper given at the Pope Center for Higher Education Policy.
- Sandra Stotsky. Testimony before the Indiana Senate Committee on Education and Career Development. January 16, 2013
- Sandra Stotsky and George Denny. 2012. Single-sex classrooms and reading achievement: An exploratory study. Journal of School Choice: Research, Theory, and Reform, 6 (4), 439-464.
- Sandra Stotsky. Common Core Standards’ Devastating Impact on Literary Study and Analytical Thinking. The Heritage Foundation Issue Brief #3800, December 11, 2012.
- Sandra Stotsky. Invited Testimony on the Low Quailty of the Common Core Standards. Testimony Submitted to Colorado’s State Board of Education, December 6, 2012
- Stotsky, Sandra. “Lessons to Learn: Teachers’ teachers responsible, too.” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, October 6, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra et al. ”Good Citizenship: To Preserve Republic, Teach Civics.” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, September 19, 2012.
- Mark Bauerlein and Sandra Stotsky. (September 2012). How Common Core’s ELA Standards Place College Readiness at Risk. Pioneer Institute White Paper No. 89.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “How Common Core Standards Have Begun to Damage the School Curriculum,” Heritage Foundation, April 17, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Invited Comments on the Common Core Standards to the House Committee on Education in South Carolina,” South Carolina, April 18, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “The Serpent in Finland’s Garden of Equity,” Journal of School Choice: Research, Theory, and Reform, 6(2), 295-300.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Invited Testimony for a Hearing on a South Carolina Bill to Amend 1976 Code,” February 16, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Invited Testimony for a Hearing on Wisconsin Bill AB 558,” February 15, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Invited Testimony for a hearing on Indiana Senate Bill No. 373,” January 25, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Competition and Choice Bring Reform, but there’s a Problem,” February 9, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “The Last Word: An Interview with Sandra Stotsky–A Call for Challenge and Coherence (May 2011). Joe Helbling and Catherine A. Little.”
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2012. “Invited Testimony for a Hearing on Indiana Senate Bill No. 373 to Void Any Action Taken by the State Board of Education to Adopt the Common Core standards as the state’s standards,” January 25, 2012.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2011. “The Stealth Curriculum,” in Sarah Stern (Ed.)Saudi Arabia and the Global Islamic Terrorist Network, New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2011, 65-80.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2011. “Tailoring to Students’ Interests”. Room for Debate, New York Times, August 23, 2011.
- Stotsky, Sandra. 2011. “Ten Steps to a Better ESEA (with apologies to the Fordham Institute): How to reauthorize ESEA so that it might actualy upgrade K-12 education. April 23, 2011.”
- Sandra Stotsky. How to Implement Common Core’s Literacy Standards to Enhance Civic Literacy in Arkansas. Presentation to Arkansas Association of Educational Administrators: August 2, 2011
- Sandra Stotsky, Heritage Foundation Event, July 27, 2011.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Testimony in Favor of Bill on Texas State Sovereignty over Curriculum Standards, Assessements, and Student Information,”Testimony for a Hearing on House Bill No. 2923, April 14, 2011
- Video of Event
- Prepared Remarks in Writing
- Sandra Stotsky. “Literary Study in Grades 9,10, and 11: A National Survey” A Publication of the ALSCW, Number 4, Fall 2010.
- Sandra Stotsky and Ze’ev Wurman. “Common Core’s Standards Still Don’t Make the Grade,” A Pioneer Institute White Paper, No. 65, July 2010.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Literary Study in Grades 9, 10, and 11 in Arkansas,” March 22, 2010.
- Sandra Stotsky. “National Academic Standards: The First Test,” September 22, 2009.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Teachers’ Pet,” The Weekly Standard, Volume 015, Issue 01, September 12, 2009.
- Sandra Stotsky. “New Guidelines for Teacher Training,” September 1, 2009.
- Sandra Stotsky. “The Academic Quality of Teachers: A Civil Rights Issue,” Commentary, Education Week, June 26, 2009.
- Sandra Stotsky. “Licensure Tests for Special Education Teachers: How Well They Assess Knowledge of Reading Instruction and Mathematics,” June 26, 2009.
- Invited written statement submitted to the New Jersey State Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights. “Teacher Licensing Standards, Teacher Quality, and Student Achievement in Urban Schools,” May 2009
- Sandra Stotsky. “Suggested Indices of Teacher Quality for Arkansas: A Position Paper,” Presented at the Office for Education Policy’s Conference “Preparing Highly Qualified Teachers for Arkansas”, April 2009
- Sandra Stotsky. “The Bitter Fruit of School Reform,” The New York Times, April 28, 2009
- Sandra Stotsky. “The global achievement muddle,” Northwest Arkansas Times, March 17th, 2009
- Sandra Stotsky. “What boys are reading,” L. Sax (Ed.), Gender Differences in Learning and School; an Online Special Edition, January 15th, 2009
2008 and 2007
- Sandra Stotsky. “Licensure Tests for Special Education Teachers: How Well They Assess Knowledge of Reading Instruction and Mathematics,” Education Working Paper Archive, November 7, 2008
- Sandra Stotsky. “Out of one, many,” Arkansas Democrat Gazette, June 21st, 2008
- Sandra Stotsky. “Teacher Licensure Tests: Their Relationship to Mathematics Teachers’ Academic Competence and Student Achievement in Mathematics,” Education Working Paper Archive, September 5, 2007
- Sandra Stotsky. RACE TO THE TOP AND K-12 MATHEMATICS EDUCATION: A Letter to U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan